Thursday, September 22, 2011

exhaustion

I think I have a pretty good life.  A loving husband.  Pretty cool kid.  Awesome family.  Cool friends.  Good job. = pretty good life.  Pretty good life doesn't cancel out exhaustion.  I'm exhausted.  I think my body is starting to feel the effects of being exhausted.  My eyes, back, feet, head, neck, it all hurts.  I'm emotional.  I want to cry at the slightest thing.  My body is failing me with everything I have to do.  You would think that I could sleep but I often lay awake at night not being able to.  What is going on with me?  Is this just part of being a mom?  Does it ever end?  Does it ever get any better?  I'm awake with Zach really early.  He lets me shower while he watches his baby tv.  We eat breakfast, play, and depending on the day either go to day care or stay home and play more.  This morning we stayed home.  I washed clothes, folded clothes, did the dishes, played with Zach, he took a nap.  We went to a meeting at work where he hung out with a friend for an hour, came back home where he took about an hour nap, I finished up laundry, cleaned our room, and got a ten minute nap before he woke up.  Geoffe got home, he offered to let me take a nap but I had just gotten a ten minute one and knew I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep so soon.  We went to Walmart, came home, I cooked dinner while Geoffe entertained Zach for a while.  We ate, Geoffe took a nap and I took care of Zach.  Bath time, bed time, pick up toys, and do dishes, and now here I am.  Endless cycle.  Laundry, dishes, feedings, cleaning, working, driving, grocery shopping, napping, again and again and again.  I need another break.  To the point of breaking here.  When Zach was younger people would often tell me that it will get easier.  It has.  But its still super hard.  And so here I am, instead of sleeping I vent and wonder if it ever does really get easier.  Or if hard things are just replaced with different hard things.  That to me seems more realistic.  What do you think fellow mamas?  Tomorrow I go to work and Geoffe keeps Zach.  I think I'm going to spend some time reading at starbucks.  Unwind a bit.  It will help me I think. 

I close with this last thought.  I love Zach dearly.  I wouldn't change this exhaustion if it meant not having him.  I'd gladly take exhaustion over and over and over.  His smile melts my heart everytime.  His tears break my heart every time.  He rocks my world. 

I appreciate all Geoffe has done to provide for our family too.  He gets up super early, and I understand he is tired when he gets home.  However, i do long for the day that he has regular work hours again.  I miss him. 

1 comment:

  1. I understand Michele. I know how you feel. The first child depends on you for everything including entertainment. It's horrible to say (but it's true, lol), that one of the reasons that I wanted to have Jacob was to have a playmate for Elijah and that I would have more "free" time to myself. It worked. To this day they play together, have bunk beds and fit A LOT, but they are inseperable and I know that they love eachother.
    With the exhaustion part, I can tell you that you need to continue to sleep when he naps. I know that is hard to, but after I had my second kid, I reaized that the ads that show the "perfectly clean" house and the woman who just "loves" to care and clean for her family is just that, an ad. (I was actually comparing my house and the cleanliness to ads in the beginning of motherhood). The wonderful fact is that ALL houses are dirty, and others (like mine) have DIRTY DOORS, along with walls and floors and countertops, etc etc etc. I don't feel that I struggle with that much anymore after Emma was born. I keep it picked up but "perfectly" clean-no and I'm comfortable that way.
    Be nice to yourself and if need be, go to the 3 dollar movie and turn your phone off, or buy yourself some jewlery (I do that too) lol!
    Just because you know that you can be super woman (and are) does not mean that you are supposed to be everyday. Put your cape away for a few days and it's ok.

    A poem that I always told myself when I just had Elijah was:

    Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow...
    For babies grow up,
    we've learned to our sorrow...
    So quiet down cobwebs...
    dust go to sleep...
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep!

    ReplyDelete